Thursday, June 10, 2010

MC Chris + BBQs = Summer Fun Time. Begin!



The same fun-filled weekend that Ms. Kortnee blogged of our summer start-off: complete with BBQ and swimming, I attended a delightful show at Slims in San Francisco. My purpose: to see the raddest nerd-rapper in the world, MC Chris. Along for the ride was MC Lars, who is also a well-know nerd-rapper (his song Download This Song is a big hit). I’m pretty sure that MC Chris has only defaulted to a higher level of fame due to the fact that he did voice-over work for Cartoon Network. Really, they are both in the same league when it comes to recognition. But MC Lars has nothing on MC Chris, mainly because the latter is cuter. He’s like your best friend’s younger brother that you secretly have a crush on but won’t tell anyone because you’d get ridiculed by everyone in your class. MC Chris is cuter than ever, now. He grew a fuzzy little beard. Now he looks like a freaking leprechaun. Get in my pocket little rapper!
Having never seen MC Lars and only knowing a few songs, I didn’t have a lot of expectations of his set. I was pleasantly surprised and found myself liking his performance. His songs are not as outright funny as MC Chris, but the content is the same. No, I take that back, MC Lars represents nerd culture a lot more than MC Chris does. The funny thing is that, while MC Chris sounds and looks like a true-blooded nerd, MC Lars looks like one of those guys who calls themselves a nerd, even though they would probably have beat up the nerds in high school. So, who really knows.

MC Chris pleased the crowd with a T-Shirt contest. Apparently, he has been doing this throughout his tour. Dozens of people jumped on stage to show off their nerdiest shirt. I was on my way up with my Admiral Ackbar, “It’s a (Finger) Trap” shirt, but before I could hoist myself up onto the stage, I noticed another girl with the same shirt (I was mortified). Turns out, that shirt already one at a previous show and she was disqualified anyway. Thank you shirt.woot.com for your clever, clever t-shirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment