Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Remembering the Old Days



I have this vague memory of singing this song when I was a kid. Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport. I even have a memory of a cartoon kangaroo and a real life kid interacting with each other. As I grew up and sang the song for my friends, no one seemed to remember it. I started thinking I must have made it all up and there was no such song. Until one fateful day when I was rummaging around the 7” punk vinyl section of Records (on Broadway) in Sacramento. There it was, staring at me, smiling, telling me it was real, I was not just making it all up- the single of the song Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport by Australian artist Rolf Harris. While the cover was a bit worn, the record was pristine. It looked as though it had never even been played.I was elated, but with a sticker price of $25, my heart sank. Months went by and there the record sat, untouched, unrelentingly expensive. More than a year had passed and still I coveted it from afar, not willing to pay $25, and too afraid to ask the shopkeeper if he would sell me the prize at an exponentially reduced price. I assumed they knew something that I didn’t regarding its value. Maybe this was a special, rare copy that deserved the high price tag. I wasn’t asking because I didn’t want to face the rejection. In mid February of this year, I finally swallowed my fears and jumped in, head first. I asked the clerk if he would be willing to sell me the record for $5. That’s right. I low-balled the shit out of that thing. To be honest, even though I loved the song, I wasn’t willing to pay more than $5 for it (you can listen to it anytime through youtube.com) so I was just asking for what I wanted. To my surprise, he agreed and I am now the proud owner of the song that I’ve sung for as long as I can remember talking. Now, the mystery to solve is, where the hell did I hear it?

No comments:

Post a Comment